Table of Contents:
- Islam, politics, and the state in Indonesia: the origins of dual identity dilemma
- Islam and Sukarno's foreign policy (1945-1966)
- Islam and Suharto's foreign policy (1967-1989): the primacy of domestic and regional politics
- Islam and foreign policy in the 1990s: between form and substance
- Islam and foreign policy after Suharto: change, continuity, and Islamic consolidation
- Islam and foreign policy under Megawati: the politics of precarious compromise
- Conclusion: Islam, internal weakness, and the dilemma of dual identity in foreign policy.